Before we begin, we want to be clear that we sincerely encourage you to wear whatever YOU want on your big day! Your wedding gown should give you confidence, make you feel beautiful and embody your personal style. However, to make your wedding dress shopping a little easier, we’ve created a simple guide to highlight the best wedding dress for your body type. Whether you’re looking for enhancing a particular feature or you need to narrow down your options, we want to help you on your search for the perfect dress! Explore the most flattering wedding dress for your body type below:
1. Athletic Shape
- You relate to some of these features: Think straight lines – if your shoulders, bust and hips are roughly the same size.
- You’re lucky because: You make up the majority – 45% of American women have this type! You have a natural tendency to have that ‘fit’ look!
- Your ideal dress: An A-line ball gown with a HUGE skirt – the kind Cinderella would approve!
- Keep in mind: If you’re petite, don’t go for an over-the-top A-line dress as you may drown in the fullness of the skirt. Embrace your body with a form fitting dress that has added volume and details at the chest or hips.
2. Apple Shape
- You relate to some of these features: You have broad and beautiful shoulders with narrow hips.
- You’re lucky because: You have slender legs (even when you skip workouts!)
- Your ideal dress: A dress that cinches at the smallest point on your waistline and flares out into a gradual A-shape. Go for a bodice that creates a corset-like effect or a V-neckline.
- Keep in mind: Avoid trumpet dress styles which may cling to you in all the wrong places.
3. Pear Shape
- You relate to some of these features: Your hips are wider than your shoulders and bust.
- You’re lucky because: You’re gifted with beautiful curves and a petite upper half!
- Your ideal dress: Body-hugging mermaid silhouettes that will enhance your sexy figure. Asymmetrical folds, ruffled tiers and an A-line skirt with waist belts will flatter your body!
- Keep in mind: Steer clear from column dresses!
4. Hourglass Shape
- You relate to some of these features: If your shoulders, bust and hips are roughly the same size and your waist is at least 25% smaller than your hips.
- You’re lucky because: You’ve got goddess curves! Only 8% of the American women have this body shape.
- Your ideal dress: Trumpet style dresses! If you’re extra curvy, asymmetrical folds on the bodice and side-gathered skirts will look very flattering.
- Keep in mind: Too many ruffles or tiers may confuse ‘curvy’ for ‘bulky’ – remember to show off what your mama gave you!
5. Inverted Triangle Shape
- You relate to some of these features: Large bust with narrow hips.
- You’re lucky because: You most likely have a lovely bust line – so show it off!
- Your ideal dress: A-line wedding gowns with delicate necklines! Off-the-shoulder dresses will also look very flattering on you.
- Keep in mind: If you’re tall, simple silhouettes with a floor-sweeping hem will flatter your long proportions. Simplicity in embellishments is key to maintaining a sexy and sophisticated look!
Once you’ve decided on your dream wedding dress for your body type, make sure to make plans to preserve your wedding dress with the Award Winning Affordable Preservation Company ~ Trusted by over 3 million brides!